Interesting kv75 build. A good read.
OK, who on here is the expert on the KV75 crappy second gear situation. I know its the weak link, and common, on our bikes for wear situation. We have two KV75 machines apart, both 2nd gear output gears have the rounded gear dogs. The shifter forks are under the 4.77 mm wear limit also. 2nd gear output shaft gears NOS are no where to be found at any of the usual vintage kawaski stores or ebay.
Next: a few questions:
* DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXTRA 2ND GEAR OUTPUT SHAFTS THEY WOULD SELL? MONEY WAITING....
* Who has welded, and ground down , and hardened the 2nd gear output ?
* Can you use your typical "mild steel" thoat comes with my MIG welder on these KV75 gears? (and, does anyone know the material spec, or typical gear material, on the kv75s....)
* what type of hardening do you need to do with these kv75 gears?
* Same question for welding/grinding/hardening for the shifter fork
* will the first gen 1971-1975 second gear output shaft work with the later 1976-1980 bikes (they have different shift patterns)....or is the 71-76 gears suffer from the same wear?
* I saw a mention on one of the online forums, if you are going to have a shop re-grind the gears, to get second gear "undercut"...what exactly do they mean "undercut", and how will this benefit?
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.