David, my 0.02 €... Buy a bike that is:
- LAMS approved, as that is a major issue here
- within your budget, if possible
- fit for your expected use (trips, cities, races, dirt,...)
- conform any other point you think important
- reliable, easy, praised by others, whatever...
Don't buy one because it has a good resale value or beacuse others say it is a better choice. I assume it will be your first bike, so ...
ABOVE ALL BUY A BIKE
- that you like
- that makes your heart skip a beat
- that screams your name when you see it
- that you 'll still admire when it eventually breaks down
So I 'ld say, and pardon me if I am wrong, buy an Estrella :-)